Research Emphasis and Objectives
- Identify and characterize short tandem repeat (STR) polymorphisms to study the effectiveness of alternate genetic management strategies and the effects of social and demographic factors on the population/genetic structure of captive groups of primates
- Identify marker loci for genes that influence susceptibility to specific infections
- Employ mitochondrial DNA haplotypes to determine ancestor-descendent and broader phylogenetic relationships.
- Develop and apply PCR-amplified STR markers to identify parentage, calculate kinship and inbreeding coefficients, estimate parameters of genetic diversity, genetic subdivision and founder representation within the colony, and collaborate with principal investigators on colony management strategies and on research involving those data.
- Identify and validate single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) for studies of phylogeny, QTL, and genotype-phenotype association.
Smith, D.G. and J.W. McDonough. Mitochondrial DNA variation in Chinese and Indian rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). American Journal of Primatology, 65(2005): 1-25.
Smith, D.G., D.A. George, S. Kanthaswamy, J.W. McDonough. Identification of country of origin and admixture between Indian and Chinese rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). International Journal of Primatology, 27(2006): 881-898.
Kanthaswamy, S., A.V. Dollen, J.D. Kurushima, O. Alminas, J. Rogers, B. Ferguson, N. Lerche, P. Allen, D.G. Smith. Microsatellite markers for standarized genetic management of captive colonies of rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). American Journal of Primatology, 68(2006): 73-95.
Smith, D.G., J.W. McDonough, D.A. George. Mitochondrial DNA variation within and among regional populations of longtail macaque (Macaca fascicularis) in relation to other species of the fascicularis group of macaques. American Journal of Primatology, 69(2007): 182-198.
Satkoski, J.A., D. George, D.G. Smith, S. Kanthaswamy. Genetic characterization of wild and captive rhesus macaques in China. Jounal of Medical Primatology, 37(2007): 67-80.
Malhi, R.S., B. Sickler, D. Lin, J.A. Satkoski, D. George, S. Kanthaswamy, D.G. Smith. MamuSNP: a resource for rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta) genomics. PLoS ONE, 2(2007): e438.
Kanthaswamy, S., L. Gill, J. Satkoski, V. Goyal, V. Malladi, A. Kou, K. Basuta, L. Sarkisyan, D. George, D.G. Smith. The development of a Chinese-Indian hybrid (Chindian) rhesus macaque colony at the California National Primate Research Center (CNPRC). Journal of Medical Primatology, 38(2008): 86-96.
Kanthaswamy, S., J. Satkoski, D. George, A. Kou, B.J. Erickson, D.G. Smith. Interspecies hybridization and the stratification of nuclear genetic variation of rhesus (Macaca mulatta) and long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis). International Journal of Primatology, 29(2008): 1295-1311.
Satkoski, J.A., R.S. Malhi, S. Kanthaswamy, R.Y. Tito, V.S. Malladi, D.G. Smith. Pyrosequencing as a method for SNP identification in the rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta). BMC Genomics, 9(2008): 256.
Flynn, S. J. Satkoski, N. Lerche, S. Kanthaswamy, D.G. Smith. Genetic variation at the TNF-alpha promoter and malaria susceptibility in rhesus (Macaca mulatta) and long-tailed (Macaca fascicularis) macaques. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. In press.